RAILBASTARD

It is currently 28 May 2017, 06:23

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
This is RAILBASTARD

You're looking at our site as some mask wearing schmuck, so log in, sign up, or fuck off. If you don't, you won't be able to do jack. But by joining the bastard brethren, you'll be able to: talk shit, abuse shit and vote for shit... and if you're really special, be 'touched' by The Apparatus™™. Signing up is dead set easy, just hand over your oxen, five fat lambs, three maidens comely and true, and first born child and we'll do the rest.

<a href="/profile.php?mode=register">Join</a>!

Post subject: SMC 1 Coffee Pot back in action (almost)
PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 19:59 

She went for a test run to Summit in Easter, and now it's official. One more test run to Woolshed Flat and she will be formally in traffic.

http://www.pichirichirailway.org.au/new ... steam.html

Slightly souped up with a Lempor exhaust she ran really nicely, plenty of steam at 12-14 miles an hour. A thoroughly reformed character I hope!

Report this post
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: SMC 1 Coffee Pot back in action (almost)
PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 11:43 
Fuck these Humans!

Heard she used to be a shitty steamer before...the Lempor would've made her a free-er steamer, yeah?

Report this post

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 01:27 

Kev, it goes like this.

When they did her up in the late 70's early 80's, they had a few goes at getting the draughting right, but the state of knowledge at the time was poor, and we did not have the interwebz. This is the same time as Red Devil was being modified by Wardale.

Coffee Pot ended up with a tri-lobed kylchap type blast orifice, but because it was low in the smokebox and the chimney is very tall and skinny, the arrangement could never have worked, and did not. In defence of the guys that built it, what they did was probably better than any of the other arrangements tried, but the loco steamed like a fucking pig.

The new arrangement has the Lempor nozzles right at the top of the smokebox, which is a little counterintuitive, but remember the chimney is tall and skinny, so to get the proportions right (as right as we could do without changing the external appearance of the loco) that is how it had to end up.

In my experience the only way to get the Pot to steam before was to fire light and often, usually with the driver operating the door - one shovel at a time. You could get her to settle in at 12 miles an hour, 120 lbs, fireman's injector on, and you would be losing water. And don't let her blow off or prime because you would never recover. The runs we did at Easter were with a thick fire, fireman's injector on, 12 - 14 miles and hour (22 km/h indicated on accompanying road vehicles) and prevent blowing off by operating driver's injector as well - she actually made water and held full boiler pressure.

So Nigel has produced a changed machine. We were never looking for more power, or even more efficiency. Just a more user friendly loco. However we could apply this to the rest of the PRR fleet and get a decent fuel saving.

If you have Facetube have a look at https://www.facebook.com/groups/399471963535816/ and there is a little write up and a few photos there.

Report this post

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 18:12 
Fuck these Humans!

Silly me, I did see that... although I didn't see the pic with the Lempor installed in the smokebox. With wanting (and getting!) a user friendly loco, you have a bit more grunt and less fuel consumption in the bargain as well!

Report this post

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 19:04 

What is the origin of the 'SMC' classification, please? Is that its old SAR classification?
It was always NJAB 1 in my day.

What a pity that the Sandfly could not be restored the same way. I assume that it is still stuffed and mounted somewhere.

I miss the railway that I started out in and the Comrades that I met along the way but I don't miss the railway as it is today.

Report this post

PostPosted: 27 May 2015, 03:55 

Yes, SMC1 was the SAR classification. She probably ran more miles for the SAR than CR I imagine.

Sandfly has got around! I first saw her at Port Augusta, then Keswick, now she is in Darwin undergoing cosmetic restoration I understand.

The problem for restoration to running condition of any loco is how do you make it earn its keep? Coffee Pot barely scrapes by carrying 22 passengers (ie. cannot fund major component failures), and I cannot imagine Sandfly pulling the skin off the most cooperative of rice puddings. For Pichi Richi the future lies in planned maintenance of larger locomotives, and the little tackers have to be funded by appeals rather than the business.

Wanna kick in for the Wx?

Report this post

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2015, 21:08 
Your taxes at work

If you watch the series Track Record, floating around here in the youtube thread, there is a scene with the Coffee Pot taken in the 80's-early 90's overlaid with the horrid university film class project sound effects that passed for docos of the period. That whistle as a child rocked and haunted me to my very soul, like my existence was torn asunder and the Coffee Pot would drag me across the River Styx into the hands of Hades himself.

To hell with that whistle and a pox upon the houses of the men that built it. I'm sure PRR enjoys it more than I do. :shudder: always good to see a restoration coming together.

Report this post

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2015, 20:22 

the nighthawk wrote:
If you watch the series Track Record,

ABC shops also had a DVD of this a few years ago.
Have the VHS and DVD (somewhere ...)

Report this post

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 22:19 
Your taxes at work

I have the DVD burnt to a haddrive or DVD somewhere around here as well. My associate owns a copy so obtaining it again is no big order.

It is apparently on youtube now.

Report this post